Are you proud of agriculture? As a member of the FFA, your answer is probably YES! However, there are those who do not share your enthusiasm or may not know how agriculture impacts their lives. American farm and ranch families, as well as modern agriculture, feed the world. However, the average American does not understand the vital role agriculture plays in our everyday lives.
Today farmers are considered a minority group, representing only 1.5 percent of the U.S. population. Meanwhile, a majority of our county’s population has become three or four generations removed from the farm. This means America must be educated on the importance of agriculture.
Tell the credible, proven and honorable story of agriculture. What is it like to grow up on a farm or ranch? What are the joys of raising show animals or learning practical agriculture in the classroom and the using those practices to work on the farms, ranches and agricultural laboratories? These stories will win over those who do not share your pride in agriculture.
The agriculture community has an incredible story to tell. You can tell the story of the positive difference agriculture, agricultural education and the FFA makes in Texas and across our country.
Where to start:
- Work with elementary students to introduce them to agriculture.
- Share pictures through social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) to give urban residents a glimpse into a farmer’s life.
- Have your chapter set up a booth at community events where you can pass out materials and agriculture related goodies.
- Work with local legislators (City Council, Mayor, etc.) to advocate agriculture.
- Learn more about Texas Proud of Texas Agriculture. Texas Proud is a program established to help inform consumers and policy makers to understand the importance of agriculture and its impact on Texans, Americans and the world. Visit www.TexasProudOfTexasAg.org.