Agricultural Education and Texas FFA
“DAY AT THE CAPITOL”
Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011
- Advisors should register through the “Event Registration” tab on the Texas FFA Roster.
Registration opens on December 15th, 2010 and closes on February 9th, 2011. Please be accurate with registration as there are a limited number of tour spots available.
- All chapters registering students will be charged a one-time, flat rate of $15 for the event.
This will be charged through the roster system. Teachers can mail checks to the Texas FFA Association. Money will not be collected on-site. The $15 charge and shirt charges will be carried on the roster balance.
- History Hunt and Capitol Tour
Special tours including a history hunt and a capitol tour have been arranged for FFA members during Day at the Capitol. A maximum of 40 people can participate in each tour. If all tours fill up, the tours will accommodate 720 persons. Advisors can choose the tour times for their chapter members through the registration system. The system tracks the number of seats left for each tour time.
1. 9:00 History Hunt at Visitors Center, 9:45 and 10:00 Capitol Tour Time
2. 9:30 History Hunt at Visitors Center, 10:15 and 10:30 Capitol Tour Time
3. 10:00 History Hunt at Visitors Center, 10:45 and 11:00 Capitol Tour Time
4. 10:30 History Hunt at Visitors Center, 11:15 and 11:30 Capitol Tour Time
5. 11:00 History Hunt at Visitors Center, 11:45 and 12:00 Capitol Tour Time
6. 11:30 History Hunt at Visitors Center, 12:15 and 12:30 Capitol Tour Time
7. 12:00:History Hunt at Visitors Center, 12:45 and 1:00 Capitol Tour Time
8. 12:30 History Hunt at Visitors Center, 1:15 and 1:30 Capitol Tour Time
9. 1:00 History Hunt at Visitors Center, 1:45 and 2:00 Capitol Tour Time
- T-Shirts ordered through registration
Chapters can order “Day at the Capitol” t-shirts through registration at $6.00 per shirt. They are ordered by shirt size.
They can be picked up at registration. T-shirt orders are final after February 9th.
- Meals and other tours are on your own
Meals will be left up to the chapter. Advisors will be provided a planning guide with suggested hotels, dining options, optional activities, and parking information. This information should be available by mid January.
- State Rep and State Senator Visits Scheduled by Advisor
Each advisor will be provided a meeting guide for the senator & rep visits. It will include who to visit, how to book, and briefing sheet / guide. Each chapter should bring their own personalized gift to the meeting as well.
Look for this information to be provided by mid January.
- Resolutions on House Floor and Senate Floor
There will potentially be resolutions on both the house and senate floor on Tuesday, February 22nd, honoring Agricultural Education and Texas FFA “Day at the Capitol.” These resolutions are still in the works, and more information will be provided soon. If all goes well, some students will be able to hear the resolutions being read from the House or Senate Chamber galleries.
- 2 Workshops (limited number per chapter)
We are currently working on two potential workshops to be provided during Day at the Capitol. Because the legislature will be in session, we have limited space / options for workshops. We are planning to have one to two workshops during the day. Each chapter will have a limited number of tickets for those workshops. More information will be provided at a later date.
Activities will begin at 9:00am and conclude at 3:00pm.
Students – Official Dress
Advisors – Professional Dress
For groups taking vans, pick-ups, or SUVs, you may park in the Visitor Parking Garage located on 12th Street between Trinity and San Jacinto. Parking in $0.75 per hour. For a map click here: http://www.tspb.state.tx.us/SPB/Plan/Map.htm If you are taking a bus, please contact Texas FFA directly, prior to Feb 22, so that we may assist you with bus parking.
It will help students to know and understand basic information about the process before they arrive on Feb 22nd. A great source for students to use is http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/gtli/home.html
Other Places to Visit:
Other places students may want to visit during this event are:
- Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum: http://www.thestoryoftexas.com/
- LBJ Library and Museum: http://www.lbjlib.utexas.edu/
- Texas State Capitol Visitors Center: http://www.tspb.state.tx.us/
Agricultural Education & FFA Day at the Capitol is a special project of: