FFA Week gives members a chance to educate the public about agriculture. During the week, chapters host teacher appreciation breakfasts, conduct "Ag Olympics" competitions, speak to the public about agriculture, volunteer for community service projects and more.
The week of George Washington’s birthday was designated as National FFA Week in 1947 at a National FFA Board of Directors meeting. FFA Week always runs from Saturday to Saturday, and encompasses February 22, Washington’s birthday. The following are some ideas your chapter can use for this year’s National FFA Week:
The player will show in this paragraph
New Ideas from National FFA
•Plant a community garden.
•Kick-off a farmer’s market you can hold regularly.
•Come up with an FFA slogan for your chapter.
•Visit with local Kiwanis, Rotary and Chamber groups and tell them about FFA.
•Team up with a collegiate FFA chapter and plan special outreach events.
•Hold a food drive, clothing drive, shoe drive or collect school supplies for the needy.
•Bake cookies and take flowers to local nursing homes or a children’s hospital.
•Write a special song or rap for your FFA chapter.
•Produce an “I am FFA” video and post it on SchoolTube.com.
•Write a “Top Ten Reasons to Join FFA” and act them out for your school (have a video camera)!
•Visit schools that don’t have agriculture education programs or FFA chapters.
•Invite local farmers, extension officers, ag scientists, etc. and have them speak about their careers.
•Have a “Farm Hand Auction” and allow local businesses, town organizations or farmers to bid on FFA members to come work for them for a day.
The Weimar FFA Chapter also has some ideas for this year’s National FFA Week:
• Sunday: FFA members, in official dress, will lector, usher and serve at a church in the community.
• Monday: The chapter will cook lunch for all the teachers during their teacher in-service day. There will also be sodas, coffee and tea in the teachers' workroom all week.
• Tuesday: FFA members will paint motivational posters to hang on the school walls about leadership and the National FFA Week theme. FFA members will also make "Got FFA" posters for the cafeteria with senior FFA officers, displaying milk mustaches, in their jackets. Chapters could also use a theme like "FFA is the Smart Choice" and give out Smarties to students.
• Wednesday: FFA t-shirt day (Wear Weimar FFA t-shirt to receive prize).
• Thursday: Play FFA music during each passing period.
• Friday: FFA members will distribute Weimar FFA Supporter gifts on Friday evening to people in town. Chapters could also have a FFA pep rally for all students in gym with Ag Olympics activities*Ag trivia contest is conducted throughout week and FFA info tidbits are presented during morning announcements.
More great ideas, like the ones listed above, can be found here on the National FFA’s Web site! Be sure to share activity ideas and tell us your stories here!